Pan-Fried Asparagus is one of my favorite sides to make. It’s simple and delicious and naturally allergy friendly. The spices add a lot of flavor while bringing out the distinct flavor of the asparagus. I love to make this in the spring when I know asparagus is in season and most likely to have the best flavor, but I keep an eye out for good-looking asparagus all year round. It’s nice to shake things up throughout the year.
When I’m picking out asparagus in the store, I search for a bunch that’s not super thick but also not as thin as grass. The thick ones take forever to cook thoroughly, and the thin ones burn easily. A nice, medium thickness of about 1/4 inch is perfect for our family.
This dish is typically a hit with adults. We like the complex flavors and smells. My kids, however, have mixed reviews. Some love it, while most tolerate it because it’s not the worst thing they’ve ever eaten. Ultimately, they all have to eat one piece no matter what.
When I make this recipe for my family, I take into account that my kids are only going to have a taste of it. The recipe serves about three or four adults. My children altogether might eat half of a serving, so I make one bunch of asparagus for all of us. Hopefully, as they grow older, they’ll come to appreciate asparagus the way I do. At least that’s why I keep trying to feed it to them.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do. Leave a comment and tell me how it goes.
Pan Fried Asparagus
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Heat a frying pan with nothing in it on medium heat.
- Wash the asparagus and cut 2-3 inches off the bottoms.
- Put olive oil in the pan and rotate the pan to cover the bottom with oil.
- Place the asparagus in the pan. Cover with a lid.
- Check occasionally to flip so the asparagus does not burn and cooks evenly on all sides.
- When asparagus is turning a darker green, add the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Flip to coat all the pieces. Replace the lid.
- Asparagus is done when a fork inserted in a thicker part goes in without resistance.